As a lover of all things that could possibly be juiced or thrown into a Vitamix, I am ECSTATIC to announce the launch of The Blender Girl Smoothies app! How exciting! Here’s what it is, and how it works:
The Blender Girl and her healthy, blender-centric recipes have taken the world by storm—and in this comprehensive smoothie-making guide, she takes smoothies to the next level and helps you blast your way to good health and blended bliss. One hundred creative and delicious smoothie recipes each contain three additional boosters (like chia seeds, ginger, or wheatgrass) that ramp up the flavor, nutrient value, or both. And the unique search function lets you punch in what you feel (happy, sluggish, wired), need (a detox, to lose weight, to chill out), and crave (light and fruity, clean and green, an exotic ride) to find the right smoothie every day. Featuring gorgeous photographs of every recipe, an extensive ingredient glossary, shopping lists, blender tips, both Imperial and metric measurements, and other handy tips and tricks, this app makes it fun and easy to find your perfect blend.
- 70 Delicious Smoothie Recipes: Plus, one additional smoothie recipe released weekly for a total of 100 recipes.
- Stunning Full-color Photography: In addition to images of every smoothie recipe, the app includes photos of frequently used and recommended ingredients in the glossary.
- Optional Flavor and Nutrition Boosters: Three additional ingredients per recipe can be added to boost flavor complexity, nutrition, or both. Use one, two, or all three options according to your taste or sense of adventure.
- Unique Search Functionality: Search by ingredient, dietary preferences, or recipe type, or use the unique story feature and fill in “I feel, I need, I crave” options to find smoothies that fit your mood on any given day.
- Special Dietary and Nutritional Information: Recipe summaries list the health benefits of each smoothie, special icons flag recipes that are appropriate for specific needs (weight loss, anti-inflammatory, high-protein, alkaline, and so on), and nutritional info provides calories, fat, sodium, carbs, fiber, sugar, protein, calcium, and iron levels.
- Imperial and Metric Measurements: Set the app to display your preferred system of recipe measures.
- Customized User Settings: Personalize your experience by setting dietary preferences and update alerts or toggle between Imperial and metric measurements.
- Comprehensive Glossary: Expanded information on the nutritional benefits of the recipes, including tips on selecting, storing, and incorporating ingredients—along with labeled photos–help you create your own delicious blends.
- FAQs and Practical Tips: Straightforward answers to frequently asked questions, along with tips on building smoothies and using both conventional and high-speed blenders, give you all the information you need to become a smoothie-making whiz.
- Blender Recommendations: The Blender Girl shares her favorite blenders.
- Favorites: Identify your favorite smoothies so you can find them quickly.
- Notes: Store recipe comments right on the recipe page to keep track of any tweaks you made, ideas for next time, or tasting notes, so you can find your perfect blend every time.
- Share-a-Smoothie Capability: Share recipes with your friends and family via email or through social media on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
- Quick and Easy Shopping Lists: Create simple shopping lists right from the recipes that can be edited and supplemented, then email it to yourself or a friend.
As if all of that isn’t awesome enough, here’s a sneak peek at some of the incredible smoothie recipes that this app has to offer:
- 1 cup (240ml) unsweetened almond milk or other nut, grain, or seed milk (strained if homemade)
- 1 cup (240ml) coconut water
- 1/4 cup (43g) chopped pitted dates (soaked, if using a conventional blender)
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pinch of natural salt (optional, to bring out flavors)
- 2 medium frozen sliced bananas
- 1 cup (125g) ice cubes (optional)
Throw all of the ingredients into your blender and puree on high for 30 to 60 seconds, until smooth and creamy.
- 1 tablespoon blanched raw almonds, soaked
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
- 1 cup (240ml) coconut water or water
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 3 limes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup (25g) torn-up curly green kale leaves (1 or 2 large leaves with stalk removed)
- 1/2 cup (18g) firmly packed mint
- 2 cups (320g) frozen pineapple
- 5 drops alcohol-free liquid stevia, plus more to taste
Throw all of the ingredients into your blender and blast on high for 30 to 60 seconds, until smooth and creamy.
- 1 teaspoon wheatgrass powder
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup (120ml) water, plus more as needed
- 1/2 medium avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups (320g) frozen mango
- 1/2 cup (62g) ice cubes
Throw all of the ingredients into your blender and blast on high for 30 to 60 seconds, until smooth and creamy. Add more water as needed to blend.
- 1/2 teaspoon wheatgrass powder
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon flaxseed oil
- 1/2 cup (120ml) water
- 1/2 small fennel bulb, cored, trimmed of stalks, and chopped
- 1 medium red grapefruit, peel and pith removed, seeded, and cut into chunks
- 1 green apple, skin on, cored and chopped
- 1/4 medium avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 15 drops alcohol-free liquid stevia, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups (190g) ice cubes
Throw all of the ingredients (except the ice cubes) into your blender and blast on high for 30 to 60 seconds, until smooth and creamy. Add the ice and blast for a few seconds more, until smooth and chilled.
- 1 cup (27g) loosely packed baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon flaxseed oil
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate powder
ALSO…The Happy Healthy Life will be giving away a FREE COPY of The Blender Girl: Super-Easy, Super-Healthy Meals, Snacks, Desserts, and Drinks–100 Gluten-Free, Vegan Recipes! Visit HERE to enter the draw (click on Giveaway), which begins TODAY!
Ummm…how much do you love me for all of this? (No, really; I wanna know.) More info on the beauty and brains behind The Blender Girl (Tess Masters) below…
Tess Masters Bio:
Australian-born Tess Masters is an actor, cook, and author of The Blender Girl cookbook and The Blender Girl Smoothies app. She shares her enthusiasm for healthy living on theblendergirl.com.
As a presenter and recipe developer, Tess collaborates with leading food, culinary, and lifestyle brands. She has been featured in the LA Times, Washington Post, Vegetarian Times, InStyle, Real Simple, Clean Eating, Thrive, Living Without, Today.Com, Food Network.Com, Prevention.Com, Glamour.Com, Shape.Com, Parents.Com, Chow.Com among other publications and websites. Away from the blender, Tess enjoys a diverse performance career. She has toured internationally with stage productions, worked in film and television, and lent her voice to commercial campaigns, audiobooks, and popular videogame characters.
Tess and her partner, Scott Brick, live in Studio City, California, with their West Highland White Terrier (and blender-cuisine maven), Cookie.
Social Media Links:
Recipe from The Blender Girl Smoothies app © Tess Masters, copyright (c) 2014. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Random House LLC.
Photo by Erin Kunkel from The Blender Girl Smoothies app © Tess Masters, copyright (c) 2014. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Random House LLC.