Maybe I’m writing this because my birthday is today. As each year goes by, I notice more and more fine lines on my forehead and grey in my hair. I also swore I would NEVER get botox, but I’ve caught myself staring into the mirror on more than a couple (or a hundred) occasions, physically pulling the skin on my face taut in order to see what I’d look like if I did have it done.
And not that this is even related to this post, but WHY do men only get better looking as they age? (Grey hair? Wrinkles? No problem–it’s hot!) Wtf?! Ugh.
Aging skin can be depressing, but here are 10 hacks that can make a massive difference to the youthfulness of your body’s largest organ, sans chemical peels, injections, and/or other invasive procedures:
- Drink a TON of water. It goes without saying that hydrated skin is happy skin. It’s able to detox better, and people who stay hydrated experience less acne and dry skin.
- Limit alcohol. Because it’s dehydrating. See how that works? Alcohol starves your skin of oxygen, and makes your face appear swollen and unhealthy the day after a bender. Consistent use can make your skin grey and listless, and enhance the appearance of wrinkles, tiny blood vessels, and permanently ruddy-looking cheeks.
- Exfoliate your face twice a week. This is to remove dead skin cells, which is important for proper skin regeneration. If old cells don’t get whisked away, new ones are produced more slowly and then tend to build up under the old ones, which causes acne and a dull appearance.
- Steam once a week. Your skin loves this! It forces the detoxification process, and results in healthier, glowing skin.
- Use cold gel masks. This hack reduces swelling and tightens pores. You can also use cold cucumber and tea bags on the eyes for 4-5 minutes—it reduces puffiness in all the right places.
- Don’t get sunburnt. Sunburnt skin is damaged skin, and damaged skin looks like crap. Just sayin’. I hate promoting sunscreen, because there can be a lot of crazy shit in there, so I’m just to advise against getting burnt, instead.
- Eat (or drink) your vegetables. Vegetables contain water, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that your skin loves. They also encourage waste removal via the colon, which keeps the entire body healthy, including your skin.
- Make use of herbs that contain silica. Horsetail, rosemary, sage, and yarrow are all amazing herbs for your hair, skin, and nails. You can take them in capsule form, or make your own tea from them.
- SWEAT regularly. Again, sweating (via regular exercise) encourages the detoxification process, which leads to healthy, younger-looking skin. It also increases circulation, and gives your face that healthy glow that fit people generally have.
- Get lots of sleep. This is more important that most people realize, but it’s easier said than done. Your body repairs and reboots when you sleep, and adequate sleep is vital to your health. Because stress and other factors may impede great zzz’s, it’s imperative to prioritize de-stressing and hitting the hay for at least 8 hours a night. Reading, meditation, and sex all help to power your brain down before you close your eyes.
So there you have it—hack away to younger-looking skin in no time. Happy Meatless Monday! xo